|This support to the Orphans & Vulnerable Children (OVC's) is provided by the
community members of the local Non Profitable Organisation (NPO) according to
the following categories:
- Food and Nutritional Support:
The child is receiving enough food for growth and development as well as an active
and productive life.
- Day care programs are provided to the Pre-Schoolers at 6 Early Learning
- Nutritional assessments are done during all contact sessions with the kids
and nutritional counselling is done during the applicable programmes.
- Community gardens are maintained at 8 localities.
- The Uitkyk Feeding Scheme provides food to 450 kids per month.
The child is having adequate shelter and supervision and the child lives in a similar
way to others in the household and community.
- Material goods to maintain or build shelter as well as bedding, cookware,
and other household necessities are provided as funds permits.
- Family-based care models for children, including transitioning from
institutional care to a family-setting are promoted and facilitated where
The child is safe from any abuse, neglect, stigma, discrimination, or exploitation.
- The acquiring of birth registration and identification documents as well as
access to child grants, insurance, and inheritance claims are facilitated.
- Preventing children from being in abusive and exploitative situations and
removing children from such situations are facilitated.
- Child-headed households are supported.
The child is having access to the health services needed, including preventative and
- Growth monitoring, immunization, malaria prevention, sanitation and clean
water as well as personal hygiene and age-appropriate prevention activities
- Referrals and linkages to child health care are done.
Southern Cross Missions - All rights reserved
This include, over and above the normal schooling the following as well:
- Removal of all barriers to the attendance of primary and secondary school as far as
- Survive Your Studies course. This entails the following:
- You and your studies !
- Brain Power !
- Strengthen your Brain.
- Make reading a pleasure !
- Read fast and with understanding.
- Concentrate !
- Your study method.
- Summaries I: SQ3R, keywords and columns.
- Summaries II: Mind maps.
- Summaries III: Stories.
- Remember easily !
- Essays, speeches and projects.
- Tests and Exams.
- Early Learning Centres (ELC’s) for the pre-schoolers. This service
involves the administering of an effective community-based small-scale ECD service,
working with a parent committee and a the support structure of SCM. Presently the
main activities are
- Maintain resources to ensure that the service achieves its purpose and
standards are maintained;
- Facilitate the effective functioning of the service through working
constructively with an appropriate management structure, organising meetings
and maintaining systems of accountability;
- Establish mutually supportive relationships with families, the community and
other organisations or individuals working in the community;
- Support staff and/or helpers;
- Carry out established administrative procedures and record-keeping practices
This 5 Bread & 2 Fish programme assists the local Facilitators in generating funds to
provide relief to the most pressing physical needs of the least privileged kids.
The Facilitators receive on application a small sum of money which they then use to
generate more funds with by buying the ingredients to bake and sell cakes etc. A percentage
of the profit of these micro enterprises is used for example to buy school uniforms, shoes and
other necessities for the kids, while the rest of the profit as well as the initial donation are utilized
again to buy ingredients.
Through this process the local community contributes towards caring for their
community’s kids as well and the Facilitators are trained in the basic skills of entrepreneurship at
the same time.
|Physical Support 4 the Kids
|These Clubs act as preparation and follow up for the camps through an exciting, well
planned, prepared and organized Youth Club programme that appeals to every age group
(pre-schoolers, primary and secondary school) and takes place once a month in every
village. The programme includes a structured Bible study session, Life Skills subjects, a meal,
Fun and Games as well as Environmental Education subjects and small local projects.